In order to be successful at SLOHS, students must attend class. Missing school makes it difficult to experience success, no matter the reason for the absence or the make-up work completed. Parents, students, coaches, advisors, and teachers should work together to establish a healthy balance between academics, athletics, and extra-curriculars. Families should work together to monitor absences and grades from the school website http://slohs.slcusd.org/. Go to Powerschool, then enter the Username and Password.
According to California law, all students are required to attend school regularly until they are 18 years old or graduate.
- It is the parent’s responsibility to see that their son/daughter arrives to school on time, attends classes daily, and to verify the reason for any absence within 24 hours.
- The parent is required to call the Attendance Office at 596-4040 after 7:30 a.m. on the morning of the student’s absence.
- ONLY parents/guardians may clear absences.
- For your convenience, we also have a 24-Hour- AFTER HOURS – Absence Reporting Line.
1. CALL 596-4040 and when you hear the recording, hit 8 and wait for prompt, then hit 2976
2. Leave a brief message including the following:
a. Student’s name
b. Your name and relationship to student
c. Date(s) and/or periods of absence
d. Your daytime phone number
e. Reason for absence
CLEARING STUDENT ABSENCES:
- If a student is erroneously marked absent, the student should clear it by using the Absence Summons received the following day in class. If the student does not clear the absence, it will be marked a “CUT” following 72 hours.
- Absences not cleared within TWO (2) SCHOOL DAYS of the student’s absence will be considered CUTS and may affect the student’s academic grade.
- Absences due to a school activity must be cleared by the teacher or coach supervising the activity.
- A pupil shall be excused from school when the absence is:
- Illness, hospitalization or quarantine
- Medical and dental appointments
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family
- Jury duty/court
- Other “justifiable” personal reasons that require the parent to request and receive “PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL” by the principal:
- Participation in religious instruction or exercises in accordance with district policy.
- For confidential medical services
- College visitations.
- Serious illness in a student’s family.
- Independent Study Contract -
- Cleared absences that cannot be excused, are considered unexcused.
- Upon parent and school written approval, 18 year old students may assume absence verification responsibilities.
Permits to Leave Campus:
- Parents must be present in or provide a note to the attendance office prior to a student leaving campus.
- Students must obtain their “Permit to Leave” campus from the attendance office prior to leaving campus. Students who leave campus without a “Permit to Leave” campus may be given an appropriate consequence.